EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Seahawks safety Jamal Adams suffered a concussion on the opening series of Seattle’s 24-3 win over the New York Giants on Monday night, leading to a heated moment on the sideline and an early end to his much-anticipated return.

Adams, playing for the first time since tearing his left quad tendon in last season’s opener, took a knee to his helmet while trying to bring down a scrambling Daniel Jones.

Coach Pete Carroll said Adams is OK and should be able to play in Week 6 against the Cincinnati Bengals, when the Seahawks return from their bye.

“He got kicked in the head and so he misses this game, but the preparation to get him to this and then with the week coming off, he’s going to be fine, I’m sure, and then be back out there,” Carroll said. “So it’s just a little glitch right now.”

Adams was injured on the ninth play of the game. He stayed down on the field for a moment, then appeared wobbly while trying to stand up. He continued to appear unstable as he walked off the field with the help of a team staffer on each side.

A few minutes later, during a wild scene on the Seahawks’ sideline, Adams emerged from the medical tent and became livid, yelling at one of the NFL’s unaffiliated neurotrauma consultants while being held back by the team’s head athletic trainer and two members of the Seahawks’ security staff.

“By the time they got all the assessments done, he couldn’t play,” Carroll said when asked about Adams’ frustration. “Somebody said something that wasn’t with us. It was somebody else that he might have responded to. I’m not sure about that.”

Adams still appeared heated while being led off the field. He briefly stopped to exchange words with an apparent heckler, then high-fived a Seahawks fan wearing a No. 33 Adams jersey before disappearing into the tunnel.

“Just with dealing with Jamal, he’s a great person, great energy that we love to have on the field at all times, and when he goes down like that it’s always motivating,” Seahawks receiver DK Metcalf said of seeing Adams hurt. “That’s one of our brothers going down. So, we’ve got to pick him up and dedicate the rest of the game to him, because he would do anything just to be out there playing with us.

“So, just happy he got to play a game with us this year, and he’ll be back real soon.”

The Seahawks, missing four starters entering the game, also lost guards Phil Haynes and Damien Lewis and nose tackle Jarran Reed to injuries Monday night.

Lewis twisted an ankle and was wearing a walking boot on his left foot postgame. Haynes aggravated the calf injury he has been dealing with the past few weeks. Carroll did not comment on how long they might be sidelined.

Reed got kicked in the shin.

“It’s not broken or anything like that,” Carroll said. “He’ll be pretty sore for the next few days, but he’ll be all right.”

Heading into Monday, the 27-year-old Adams had missed 28 of a possible 53 regular-season games because of injury since the Seahawks acquired him in a blockbuster trade with the New York Jets in 2020. He said last week that he briefly but legitimately considered retiring after tearing his quad tendon in Week 1 of last season, citing all the injuries he has dealt with over the past three seasons, which includes two torn shoulder labrums.

Adams had two tackles and a near sack of Jones on the opening drive before he left the game.

“He’ll be fine,” Carroll said. “Frustrating start, but all of the work he did to get here is what preps him for the next time coming around, and he’s going to be a big part of what we’re doing.”

Source link